Wednesday, June 23, 2010

China: Food

Good things i've been eating in china:

1. Spicy Eggplant - I'm not sure what the actual name of the dish is, but it's really good. It's chinese eggplant, which is a lot more narrower and long that eggplants in the US (and more tasty). I'm pretty sure it's stir fried - sometimes it's too oily but there is a place near campus who makes it wonderfully.

2. Pineapple on a stick - There are a ton of little fruit stands and you can buy a quarter of a pineapple that's cut in a spiral on a stick. It's REALLY good pineapple too.

3. Vegetable Fried Rice - I've never really been a fan of fried rice, but the stuff here is pretty good. They add a lot more veggies - I especially like the green peppers they use. They are the best peppers ever! They are a little spicey but a little sweet and add wonderful flavor. They also make fresh "single" servings of fried rice right in front of you - I say "single" because I never can finish mine and could really be 2-3 meals.

4. Fried Noodles - Again, never was a HUGE fan of things like low mein, greasy things get old really fast, but these are pretty good. There is a noodle place on campus that makes their own noodles - and you can see them pulling them out and cutting them while you order! I've only tried one thing from them though because most of their noodle dishes have meat.


Things I miss/Plan on eating the week I get back

1. A good breakfast - I've been eating peanut butter bread for breakfast every day and it's starting to drive me insane. Perhaps waffles, yum. Even some soy yogurt and fruit would do.

2. Fruit salad - Packed with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Even though there is a lot of fruit stands i find myself not eating as much fruit as i do in the states

3. Fresh Veggies - They seem to not exist here, all of their veggies are cooked in loads of oil!

4. Burrito - Preferable something like Qdoba... with avocado of course. I've been finding myself wanting to put avocado on everything here.

5. Pasta - You can get things like fried noodles and some place even sell italian style pasta - but they all are meat or cream sauces. The only non-cream/meat pastas I've seen is "spaghetti with ketchup"... but that doesnt sound very good

No comments:

Post a Comment